Being a parent we learn as we go... my feeding journey...

Its a Struggle For every mama...



 I want to talk a little bit about my journey as a mom. I'm able to reflect back now that im done having babies and I'm on the other side of it. Its something every new mom, or seasoned mom thinks about, stresses over, worries about, and questions. Feeding her baby.....

7 yrs ago when I was pregnant with my first little miracle, I was so excited and as most new moms I wondered what life would be like once he was here. What he would look like, whos eyes he'd have, nose, fingers and toes. I was so excited to bring my baby boy into this world and experience this amazing thing called being a mommy. I also wondered how I would feed him? Would I nurse my baby, what if I couldn't, what if it didn't work, or it hurt to much, or I had no milk, or he couldn't latch on? What if I just didnt want to what formula would I feed him. 
       Well I started searching for options, and being the person that I am, growing up in a family that was holistic, and had a diet that was super clean and natural I started getting scared as I was reading formula labels. I knew there was no way I was going to be able to give my pure brand new baby a bunch of ingredients in something that I wouldn't use myself. I searched and searched and I only came up with a few options at the time that were an "all Natural" organic formula. But let me tell you the cost was INSANE! Luckily for me I grew up in a British family and more than half still live there. So while I was stressing, and freaking out I talked to my unlce whom agreed to ship me formula from England.... Reason being is Europe's standards are way higher than ours and they use maybe 10% of the ingredients that the US uses in mainstream infant formula. I was fed from it and I figured at the time it was my safest and best choice to have as my back up.

Fast forward to April of 2010. My little bundle of joy was born, he was perfect in every way. We got off to a great start with nursing and everything was going well for a little while. Im a new mom, and so unsure of everything and I think honestly I was uncomfortable in my own skin. Nursing was awkward, and draining and just flat out not easy. As time went by I noticed it was taking forever to feed my baby. He never seemed satisfied. So I went and seeked help from a lactation class. We did the whole weigh him, feed him ad re weigh, only to find out after 45 min this poor little guy was only getting a couple oz of milk. I personally think it was my stress and unsureness that was causing the issues looking back. So needles to say by 3 months I was completely done nursing and he was on formula. thank goodness  I had researched and has plan b.. being a new mom is hard enough without the extra stress of what your going to feed your tiny human.

Moving forward to 2013 I was Pregnant with baby #2 as I was going through the same inner battle of feeding. Again I was beyond excited to bring home my newest bundle but this inner voice kept me stressing over feeding my baby. i know every pregnancy os d9fferemt so is every baby BUT knowing how it ended up tje first go round i was worried...Well now things had changed because I no longer had the ability to get the formula sent from Europe, things had changed so now I was on my own. So now I was super freaked out. My plan again was retry nursing and give it everything i had and not because i believe that formula is bad, although many are not good and full of artificial chemicals, but there are some good ones, but for my own reasons i wanted that special bond with my baby if I could. So Again I went on the hunt for my back up just incase i ended up on the same path as before. I searched, and read labels, and researched some more. I did find a few 1 being from Europe again that I could order and a few here I knew I could buy... I felt better knowing I did have options. Although this time around was so different, I was comfortable with myself and being a mom and nursing came naturally. I actuly nursed baby #2 30 weeks into pregnancy #3!! lol I know talk about so different from the first time. He was 2.5 when I HAD to call it quits because he was actually sending me into  preterm labour..

About a yr after my second son was born my girlfriend had a a baby and she couldn't nurse, she tried but to no avail she didnt make it. so she to was on the hunt. well about that time a new formula had hit the market and it just happens to be made by my favorite diaper company The Honest Company, I had used the diapers for a while and loved them along with the baby wash, so she asked me to look into it for her. so again I did some research and really liked what I was reading. The Honest Company  had actually made a really good organic baby formula thats afordable!! I gave her 2 thumbs up and said I approved lol...

I went on to have my last baby just 10 months ago, but this time was different. I'm a seasoned mom at this point lol but the stress of feeding my baby girl was gone. I knew I nursed my son no problem but I also knew I had a good back up formula should that change. I had a couple options but I loved that I could get my diapers, wipes, baby wash AND formula from 1 place, delivered! i never ended up needing to supplement as I'm still happily nursing but at least I can share it with you. we never  know how this journey will go and being prepared and informed is half the battle...

so for all you brand new mama's, or seasoned ones like myself, relax, enjoy every moment, do your best and enjoy the ride.. it's the most incredible ride you'll ever take..



if your interested in learning more about the Honest Company formula check it out here....
www.honestcompany.com


Comments

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your experience! :) I had the same jouney and ended up with an organic formula from europe, too. I can advise the site https://organicbaby.la, there are european formulas to good terms in big packages. :)

    Have a lot of fun with your little family! :)

    Vicky

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts